Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Building My Own Personal Web Log for BallroomDancing

I read a news article about web logs. In the topic of “Reporters Find New Outlet, and Concerns, in Web Logs by David F. Gallagher, he states that some journalists like to have a Web log because of freedom. The writing of journalists who keep Web logs tends to be looser than their other writing. Moreover, Gallagher
emphasizes, “Web logs have been promoted by some commentators as a potential challenge to traditional news media companies.” However, people who are free writing in Web logs cause some problems such as defamation or hoax. Therefore, news media companies worry about liability for edited material in a writer’s personal log. I agree that news media companies need to pay attention to many problems for the freedom of Web log. On the other hand, there are three reasons why people like to write something in web logs. The first reason is cheapness. Web logs are less expensive than traditional media, books, and newsletters. The next reason is anonymity. People can hide their real status and become less publicly visible, such as hate groups. The last most important reason is recruitment. A web log owner could have a specific target audience for collecting his members who are interested in the same things: i.e. politicians, sports, or businesses. Finally, I have a new idea for my personal Web log. Because I love international ballroom dancing, I could build a Web log for my community to attract people who enjoy dance. The more people join, the more people have a good time at the dancing party.