Monday, April 26, 2004

Using a Web Log Community to Engage Ballroom Dancing

Currently, Web logs have many good online functions that make them fairly easy to communicate and interact with people in cyberspace. Undoubtedly, there are going to BE more and more activities on Web logs in the future. First, considering Web logs are a social network. I think that the web logs sever has a strong effective function on connecting people who have the same purpose and interest. Then, these people will build their specific community such as politics or clubs. Perhaps someday I will have my own Web log for self-expression. I have an idea that I will construct a Web log site to engage poetry or dancing. I could make more friends who have the same interest. However, I have an interest in the topic of “Web logs and the Professional Writer.” I am interested in studying the professional fields.


The professor Lawrence Lessig on his Web log argues that computer code (HTTP) in the traditional Internet is so free that it is uncontrollable, and the government ignores its responsibility for protecting copyright and supervision in cyberspace. Therefore, in his article “Code is Law”, Lessig offers architectures of control to regulate the commerce in cyberspace. He suggests digital certificates for accessing certain services, encryption and the public key infrastructure in an indirect governmental regulation. Finally, I rember studying the web sites of Andrew Sullivan. The Andrew Sullivan web site is chiefly concerned with politics. For the online journalism, the first function is that Web log on the Internet is often seen as corrective to elitism of mainstream press. The second function is Internet herald a disintermediation of journalism (elimination of barriers between write and audience). The final function is that people see the same reason the Internet has been criticized for forfeiting its gatekeeper role. For example, information about the Clinton and Lewinsky affair on a Web log Site like Drudge Report drove coverage by elite news organization and led to premature publication of poorly substantiated stories.

I read a news article about web logs. In the article of “Reporters Find New Outlet, and Concerns”, David F. Gallagher in Web Logs, he states that some journalists like to have a Web log because of freedom. The writing of journalists who keep Web logs tends to be looser than their other writing. Moreover, Gallagher emphasizes, “Web logs have been promoted by some commentators as a potential challenge to traditional news media companies.” However, people who are free writing in Web logs cause some problems such as defamation or hoax. Therefore, news media companies worry about liability for edited material in a writer’s personal log. I agree that news media companies need to pay attention to many problems for the freedom of writing Web log.

On the other hand, there are three reasons why people like to write something in web logs. The first reason is cheapness. Web logs are less expensive than traditional media, books, and newsletters. The next reason is anonymity. People can hide their real status and become less publicly visible. Hate groups do this. The last most important reason is recruitment. A web log owner could have a specific target audience for collecting people who are interested in the same things, i.e., politicians, sports, or businesses. Finally, I have a new idea for my personal Web log. Because I love international ballroom dancing, I could build a Web log for my community to attract people who enjoy dancing. The more people join, the more people will have a good time at the dancing party.

I found that there are two Websites that people could apply for their own Web logs, http://www.web.com/ and http://www.powweb.com/. Now, for the first year, an applicant only pays $ 7. This price is pretty low. Then, the second year and later, a user needs to pay $ 25. This discovery lets me think of my capstone subject. I already made a capstone for AIC in Taiwan. It is chiefly concerned with the international ballroom dancing that I employed Soft Director to make the CD-ROM. When the CD-ROM is used to present the project, it can direct to connect my dancing web site. Therefore, My CM capstone for the same dancing program will be promoted and added a Web logs. I think that to add a web log, it will make my capstone much completely. I am thinking about this right away.